top of page

Moon Circle Rituals DIY

Public·61 members
Arseny Antonov
Arseny Antonov

Oxford Dictionary Of Quotations Buy

The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations is the Oxford University Press's large quotation dictionary. It lists short quotations that are common in English language and culture. The 8th edition, with 20,000 quotations over 1126 pages, was published for print and online versions in 2014.[1] The first edition was published in 1941.

oxford dictionary of quotations buy

The first edition, in 1941, was compiled by a committee drawn from the staff of the OUP under the editorship of Alice Mary Smyth (later Alice Mary Hadfield).[2] She recounts some of the details of choosing and processing quotations in her book on the life of Charles Williams (one of the committee).[3] Later editions of the Dictionary were published in 1953 and thereafter, the 6th edition appearing in 2004 (.mw-parser-output cite.citationfont-style:inherit;word-wrap:break-word.mw-parser-output .citation qquotes:"\"""\"""'""'".mw-parser-output .citation:targetbackground-color:rgba(0,127,255,0.133).mw-parser-output .id-lock-free a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-free abackground:url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Lock-green.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat.mw-parser-output .id-lock-limited a,.mw-parser-output .id-lock-registration a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-limited a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-registration abackground:url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Lock-gray-alt-2.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat.mw-parser-output .id-lock-subscription a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-subscription abackground:url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Lock-red-alt-2.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat.mw-parser-output .cs1-ws-icon abackground:url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Wikisource-logo.svg")right 0.1em center/12px no-repeat.mw-parser-output .cs1-codecolor:inherit;background:inherit;border:none;padding:inherit.mw-parser-output .cs1-hidden-errordisplay:none;color:#d33.mw-parser-output .cs1-visible-errorcolor:#d33.mw-parser-output .cs1-maintdisplay:none;color:#3a3;margin-left:0.3em.mw-parser-output .cs1-formatfont-size:95%.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-leftpadding-left:0.2em.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-rightpadding-right:0.2em.mw-parser-output .citation .mw-selflinkfont-weight:inheritISBN 0-19-860720-2), the 7th in 2009 (ISBN 0-19-923717-4), and the 8th in 2014 (ISBN 0-19-966870-1), all edited by Elizabeth Knowles.[1]

PRINTED FROM OXFORD REFERENCE (www.oxfordreference.com). (c) Copyright Oxford University Press, 2023. All Rights Reserved. Under the terms of the licence agreement, an individual user may print out a PDF of a single entry from a reference work in OR for personal use (for details see Privacy Policy and Legal Notice).

Elizabeth Knowles is a historical lexicographer who worked on the 4th edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (1993) and was Editor of the 5th, 6th, and 7th editions of the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (1999, 2004, 2009). Her other editorial credits include the Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations (3rd edition, 2007), What They Didn't Say: A Book of Misquotations (2006), and the Little Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs (2009). She is a contributor to The History of Oxford University Press (2013).

"The misquotations section has helpfully grown since the millennium from thirty-four to fifty-seven entries. It is still possible to learn things from leafing through these pages" - Michael Caines, The Times Literary Supplement

"It can be browsed endlessly, with each quotation delivering something different. When I first looked at this edition I'd found three quotations which my husband had to know about by the time I got to the bottom of page two - and he agreed." - Sue Magee, Book Bag

I have known people to be just a little snooty about the fact that I have had a copy of the current edition of the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations on my bookshelf for over forty years, suggesting that it was a book for people who hadn't read the original books. I long ago accepted that I would never have the time to read all the books I (might) want - or feel I ought - to read and I've found the dictionary an invaluable work of reference and source of inspiration for half a century. Where else would you find over 20,000 quotations, covering centuries, every subject, with wit, wisdom and food for thought? Yes - I know they're probably all there on the internet - somewhere, but I've got them in one volume on the shelf in front of me.

This is the eighth edition of the Dictionary (it was first published in 1941) and the last three editions have been edited by Elizabeth Knowles, a historical lexicographer. Physically it's a big book - you don't pack over eleven hundred pages into a small space - and as a hardback, built to last, with a couple of silk bookmarks, in different colours. Take a little time to read the section on how to use the dictionary - it doesn't just make life easier, it means that you can get a lot more out of it. It might appear slightly complicated at first - but it's rather like telling someone how to swim: it's much easier in practice.

I've often thought that if I had to chose a desert-island book I'd plump for this one (after, of course, the one with clear instructions about how to get off the island). It can be browsed endlessly, with each quotation delivering something different. When I first looked at this edition I'd found three quotations which my husband had to know about by the time I got to the bottom of page two - and he agreed. In case you're wondering about the value of replacing the seventh edition, there are more than seven hundred new quotations and over two hundred new authors.

The quotations come from varied sources - it's not just literary works which have been the source. There are special sections covering, advertising slogans, catchphrases, epitaphs, film titles. military sayings and songs, mottoes, newspaper headlines and leaders, official advice, sayings and slogans (political and otherwise) and even misquotations. I've settled many an argument by using one or other edition of this book, they've provided inspiration when it was sadly lacking elsewhere. Occasionally I wondered about the expenditure when money was tight - but I've never regretted it. I'd like to thank the publishers for sending this copy to the Bookbag.

I've deliberately not bombarded you with quotations - how can you pick half a dozen from twenty thousand? If you would like to see some examples have a look at the OUP website where you'll find a PDF giving some sample pages from the first chapter.

In compiling the Dictionary his purpose was to offer a collection of medically related quotations, culled from eclectic reading, that might add spice to an article or lecture. 'Whether readers are looking for a suitable quotation on surgery, science, kidneys, or kindness', he declares in the preface, 'they should find much here to satisfy.' I agree: this is indeed a spicy collection, though not every wise saying is witty or every witty one wise; I spent a happy hour with it on the train home. The quotations, mainly from the English-speaking world, with a bias to the surgical, occupy just over a hundred pages, the other half of the book consisting of an index by subject.

The OED is not just a very large dictionary: it is also a historical dictionary, the most complete record of the English language ever assembled. It traces a word from its beginnings (which may be in Old or Middle English) to the present, showing the varied and changing ways in which it has been used and illustrating the changes with quotations which add to the historical and linguistic record. This can mean that the first sense shown is long obsolete, and that the modern use falls much later in the entry.

The first edition of the dictionary was published in parts between 1884 and 1928, with the title A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles. A ten-volume edition appeared in 1928. It was reissued in twelve volumes plus one supplementary volume in 1933, when the title was changed to The Oxford English Dictionary. The language did not cease to change and grow, and a further four volumes of OED Supplement were published between 1972 and 1986. All this material was amalgamated to produce the twenty-volume second edition in 1989.

Since March 2000 the dictionary has been an online publication, to which we add revised and new entries four times a year. So far we have revised everything from M to R, as well as small but significant ranges elsewhere in the alphabet. This amounts to over a quarter of the entire text. The old text of a revised entry remains available at the click of a mouse, and the Second Edition of the dictionary (1989) remains in print.

In general, the forms shown are based on evidence available to the editors at the time the entry was prepared. If it is a first edition entry, that evidence may lie more than a century in the past, and use of the hyphen has greatly decreased over the past century. The process can often be observed in the illustrative quotations, even in an old entry such as today, which in the past was normally written with a hyphen or as two separate words. Forms shown in revised entries reflect modern evidence based on OED's quotation files and text corpora. 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page